You Can Help Defeat Confirmation of Helen Dragas for Another Term on The Board of Visitors
On Tuesday afternoon, January 15, at 4:00 pm, the Virginia Senate Privileges and Elections Committee meets in Richmond. The committee will vote on whether to recommend confirmation of Helen Dragas for another term on UVa’s Board of Visitors. (The link to the senate resolution is below.)
General Assembly members respond to voters in their districts. Members of the UVa community have the capacity to deluge their senators with emails stating that Helen Dragas should not serve a second term on the Board of Visitors because she is harming UVa’s reputation, integrity, faculty recruiting, and essential working relationships.
Constituents’ views matter!
The University community has two opportunities between now and Tuesday to block Ms. Dragas’s confirmation in committee.
(1) Circulate word that UVa students, their parents, and their friends WHO ARE VIRGINIA RESIDENTS should email their senators to oppose Ms. Dragas’s confirmation.
- · The email to use is posted at hoosuniversity.org. It’s designed to be downloaded and customized.
- · Students can use the map and the link to the Virginia Senate (scroll down to see both) to identify their senator.
- · Download the email form at hoosuniversity.org, customize it, and email it to your senator on Sunday or Monday. We want the senators to have these emails by very early Tuesday morning.
- · Then enlist your parents and friends WHO LIVE IN VIRGINIA to do likewise.
(2) Encourage UVa students, faculty, and friends who are able (and do not have Tuesday afternoon classes) to travel to Richmond to attend the 4 pm meeting of the Senate Privileges and Elections Committee.
- · Wear stickers or buttons opposing Helen Dragas’s confirmation.
- · Support those who are allowed to speak against confirmation.
- · Be sure to exercise decorum, but make your presence known.
Look for updates at hoosuniversity.org.
Time is short. The cause is just, and very important to UVa’s success in the next four years. “For here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead.”
Virginian-Pilot editorial urging that Helen Dragas’s confirmation be blocked (her hometown newspaper): http://hamptonroads.com/2012/12/solution-uvas-woes
Times-Dispatch story on Sens. Howell’s and Favola’s opposition to confirmation: http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/more-lawmakers-oppose-dragas/article_9f6addd7-89df-52d5-880f-5bf6ba1c2fb3.html
Times-Dispatch letter to the editor: http://www.timesdispatch.com/opinion/your-opinion-letters/letters-to-the-editor/article_061c6e80-d2ed-54cd-ab4c-cc4faba2d65e.html
Washington Post op-ed: http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/a-chance-to-turn-the-page-at-u-va/2012/12/28/3d243abc-505a-11e2-839d-d54cc6e49b63_story.html
Link to Senate Joint Resolution 324 (scroll down to find Helen Dragas’s name in the UVa appointments): http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?131+ful+SJ324
Link to Senators’ contact information: http://apps.lis.virginia.gov/sfb1/Senate/TelephoneList.aspx)
Map of Virginia Senatorial Districts:
Senate Privileges and Elections Committee’s 15 Members
(Bios and of the senators and the areas they represent here: http://apps.lis.virginia.gov/sfb1/Senate/TelephoneList.aspx)
Mark Obenshain - committee chair - R -attorney (Washington & Lee; not sure of his position on Dragas):email@example.com
Janet Howell – D - strongly opposing Ms. Dragas - firstname.lastname@example.org
Steve Martin – R – insurance and financial services (not sure of his position on Dragas) - email@example.com
Creigh Deeds – D – strongly opposes Dragas - firstname.lastname@example.org
Phillip Pucket – D – Bank VP of Business Development; has said he will support Dragas – email@example.com
John Edwards – D – attorney - firstname.lastname@example.org (not sure of his position on Dragas)
Donald McEachin – D – attorney (UVA Law) – Democratic Caucus Chair (not yet decided regarding Dragas) - email@example.com
Chap Peterson – D – attorney (UVA Law) - firstname.lastname@example.org (legislative assistant says he is undecided but he hasn’t heard from many of his constituents)
Ralph Smith – R – CEO of own firm – former mayor of Roanoke - email@example.com (has said he will support Dragas)
Ralph Northam – D – Medical Dr. (child neurologist – Eastern VA Med. School) - firstname.lastname@example.org (has said he may support Dragas, but he is running for Lt. Gov and would like to hear from his constituents and voters around the Commonwealth)
Jill Vogel — R – an attorney (her position on the Dragas confirmation is not yet known) - email@example.com
Jeffrey McWaters – R – businessman – former Vice Rector at Wm & Mary – strong supporter of Dragas (his district) -firstname.lastname@example.org
Charles W. Carrico, Sr. – R – retired senior trooper, VA state Police (position on Dragas not known) -email@example.com
Bryce Reeves – R – GMU – Public Administration , UVA Sorensen political leaders program (position on Dragas not known) -firstname.lastname@example.org
Thomas Garrett, Jr. – R – attorney (U of Richmond; position on Dragas not known) - email@example.com